We are so proud of Nīkau. We have 5 amazing classrooms that run in unison. We work very closely as a team of teachers and students, aiming to create a friendly, supportive and active learning environment.
In Nīkau we closely follow the Adventure Way; building our student’s natural curiosity and creativity, and developing self-awareness and self-direction within collaborative and supportive environments.
As a team we work together to refine and reflect on the achievements each year, and challenge ourselves with new initiatives.
How do we work?
- Teachers plan and work collaboratively.
- We focus on delivering quality learning programmes in a safe and collaborative environment.
- We have a unified vision about how the syndicate will work together in terms of expectations of behaviour and learning.
- We build on the Adventure Way attributes that have been developed in Kōwhai through their Play Based Learning and we continue to provide learning through play during Discovery Time on a Friday.
- Our programmes are a balance of explicit teaching and choice as students grow in independence and self-awareness
What do we value?
We believe children learn best when:
- there is an authentic learning context
- learning is current, relevant and purposeful
- they feel valued
We believe we have the happiest classrooms when children and teachers:
- work together but have the chance to be individuals
- have a voice
- reflect on their learning and teaching
The Nīkau Team: Tania Bourke (Part-time), Skye Kim, Richard McQueen, Alesha Wilson, Toni-Marie Bennett (Team Leader), Amy Churchill